Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Confessions of a Repentant Materialist

From Italian Fashion


Lately, I might have been dealing with a little bit of jealousy.

Let's try that again.

Hi, my name is Katie and I have been dealing with jealousy. We're living in a very fashion-conscious culture here in Italy, and I've been starting to wish I could dress as well as the locals decked out in all the designers' latest trends. I don't even like all of the trends, but there's something about walking around with five layers shoved under my pilled Old Navy fleece for the fourth day in a row that makes me feel vastly inferior to all the stiletto-wearing fashionistas that crawl the streets of Rome. Even if their shoes are impractical.

Up until now, I had been fairly successful at convincing myself that I don't *want* to have to look where I'm going to keep my heels from getting caught in the cobblestones. And I maintain my distaste for spandex leggings (what are they thinking?). I even remain unimpressed by the newest styles of over-sized purses that threaten to bruise small children on the street and topple the very women carrying them. But I must admit that I've been waffling a bit in my convictions and coveting some of those beautiful clothes in shop windows.

Thankfully, the Lord gave me a gentle and much-needed reminder Sunday evening at our church couples' group. During our Bible study, we came across 1 Peter 3:3-4, which says:

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Reading that left me feeling convicted and a little sheepish at having forgotten how unimportant my "personal style" is in the scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that there's anything wrong with dressing nicely -- but I want my life to bring glory to Jesus, and I definitely don't need Prada to do that.
blog comments powered by Disqus