Thursday, December 11, 2008

Abridged Update

Hey all!
Since Christopher already posted an update about our October/November travels, I thought I'd just post a quick look and link to my albums for your perusal. Christopher's albums are better, so if you haven't seen his, you should check them out!

Athens
From Athens

We spent a three day weekend walking around the city and learning about Greek history from one of Christopher's professors. As Christopher said, he had an "in" with the head architect in the Parthenon restoration project, so we got an insider tour! I knew it was awesome, but the looks on Christopher's face told me we were doing something even more incredible than I had realized. Our last day in Athens, we went back to the Agora for Christopher to do some sketching and me to do some wandering. For photos from the rest of our trip, go to my album.

The Amalfi Coast
From Amalfi Coast

At the recommendation of Annette and Tony, Christopher and I planned a long weekend on the Amalfi Coast. We caught a train to Naples, hopped over to the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and snagged a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi Town. The bus ride was by far the BEST part of our journey -- we looked almost straight down into the Mediterranean and clenched white knuckles as our driver navigated along the narrow road. Who needs Cedar Point?! Our weekend was full of exploring the tiny town of Amalfi and hiking like crazy up to the little towns nearby. Annette, we love Amalfi, too! I've got a few more photos in my album.

Siena
From Siena

While Christopher spent a week traveling around Tuscany and Umbria with his classmates, I decided to strike out on my own for my first solo-trip EVER... to Siena! Christopher and his classmates were staying there for two nights, so I figured I'd at least get to catch up with him for a meal or two. I had a great time sipping cappuccino at a bar on Il Campo, wandering around the city and checking out the Sanctuary of St. Catherine, the Duomo and the Duomo Museum. I couldn't take pictures in some places, but there are a few in my album. After two nights in Siena, I caught a train to Florence to spend an afternoon checking out the Bargello Museum, the Duomo, its museum and (drum roll, please)... DANTE'S HOUSE!!! They have reconstructed the building to add a museum that looks at everything from Florentine history during Dante's career to works of various artists inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy. They even have an entire wall devoted to listing all of the Divine Comedy's political, religious, historical, personal references, etc. I was in Paradise!

I let Christopher take all the pictures on our trips to Florence and our Thanksgiving holiday in the Cinque Terre -- he's got the better camera, anyway. I'm sure they'll be up as soon as he has a chance. For now, he's slaving away on his last project of the semester. I can hardly believe our time here is almost done! Until next time... arrivederci!
blog comments powered by Disqus